Saturday, September 20, 2008

One-of-a-Kind


For those who spend any time with our family, you know that our sweet little Luke can sometimes be quite a challenge.  Along with his fun, sports-loving, happy side, there is a shy, scared, won't-let-go-of-my-leg side that can try our patience.  To be perfectly fair about this particular character trait, he comes by it honestly, as Clayton and I are both of the rather shy sort ourselves.  Luke is full if silly little quirks, like biting his nails until they bleed, putting on five pairs of socks at the same time, talking in his own language, and hoarding his belongings under the blankets in his bed (although I've explained to him many times that they are his toys and books to begin with, and they will still be his on the bookshelves and in the toy bins).  We have only met one other two-year-old with the passion for tennis that Luke has, and the two of them were quite a sight:  hitting balls back and forth to each other at the tennis courts with the seriousness of a championship match in a Grand Slam.    On the lighter side of things, this age of toddler-turn-preschooler has got to be the best for hilarious sayings and mispronunciations.  Luke's latest funnies include:  (1) hand sanitizer = "hand appetizer"  (2) spaghetti = "super-ghetti"  (3) "I don't think I can go in the potty until my peanut grows bigger like Dad's"  (4) ice cream = "scream"  (5) "We can't leave the pool yet; I'm smokin' hot still!"  Sometimes I think his way of saying something is so cute, I don't have the heart to correct him, and other times he says something incorrectly just because he knows I'll laugh.  I love how he calls Audrey "honey" just like I do, how he sings to himself when he's supposed to be sleeping in bed, and how he yells at me to "run faster!" when I'm dragging my heels while pushing the kids in the jogging stroller.  His oddities remind me that we all have our own, and he definitely helps me appreciate the little things in life.  Of course, we wouldn't want to leave Audrey out of all of this individuality appreciation business.  If any one-year-old I know has personality, she does.  She automatically dances whenever she hears music, even hymns at church.  She loves trying to do whatever Luke is doing, and she can definitely hold her own during a sibling spat.  Her few words (like "Dad", "Yes", and "Uh-oh") are said with such inflection, it just makes me want to burst out laughing.  If things aren't going her way, she throws her head back with her hand on her forehead, oozing all the drama she can muster.  Although her new-found walking skills are cute in and of themselves, I will miss her bum-in-the-air "crawl," where she only touches the ground with her hands and feet.  I'm sure all kids have their own uniqueness, but each one of ours is definitely one-of-a-kind. 

 

7 comments:

missLaura said...

That was so cute Aimee. I think Luke loves tennis so much because you were playing it when your water broke with him. For some reason I always remember that.

Crystal said...

Your blog page is so cute. I love the posts you have so far. I'm excited to keep up with you guys with the blogs. I also have one it is http://mcporterplace.blogspot.com.

Andy said...

yeah! a hall blog!

get used to me... I'll be spending alot of time here!

stone's eye view said...

Loved the post. I am sad we dont get to see these little guys ever!

Rebecca said...

So #3 of Luke's latest funnies was hillarious! I can't believe he said that (and then that you put it on here for the world to see!) Anyway, your kids are cute and that was so funny. Hopefully you'll come to MO for Christmas and we can meet up to show off the kiddos.

callphin said...

That was hilarious. I laughed pretty hard when you said Luke's mispronunciations. I was rolling. Your kids are awesome just like you Aimee (and Clayton).

Carmen/Alan said...

so cute!