Thursday, February 19, 2009

Moments

On a friend of mine's blog title, it says:  "We don't remember days.  We just remember moments."  ...or something like that.  I like that, and have been trying to focus on little moments that I want to remember.  However, I was feeling like I only had bad moments to remember from this week.  
  • like when both kids starting screaming and flailing themselves on the ground at a museum and a stranger had to help me carry them to the closest bench, 
  • or when one of the kids spilled a full glass of milk on the computer, and now it makes a weird whirring noise that can't be good  
  • when I made a ton of phone calls to try and arrange a service event for the G.P. Mom's Club, and I completely failed and Luke told me to stop talking on the phone,
  • when (after we basically had not seen him since Friday) Clayton came home at 5 (hallelujah!) on Monday evening, only to declare that he was deathly ill and had to go to bed right then.  Which was then followed by a similar moment on Tuesday.
  • or when I completely embarrassed myself in front of the whole neighborhood Wednesday morning by running out to the front yard in my bathrobe to catch the recycling truck with an armload of recycling.  I had to.  We had a lot of recycling this week (possibly more on this later).
I fully intended to wave the surrender flag tonight and give up.  The week was turning out so rotten, I just didn't see any point in carrying on.  Somehow every single bit of clothing and bedding in our entire house was dirty, every spoon was dirty (and the kids only wanted to eat with spoons), and the floor may as well be a buffet.   But ... miracle of all miracles ... Clayton sauntered in the door at 3:30(!!!!) with a cheerful, I'm-not-sick-anymore grin and hugs for us all.  We ordered take-out, laughed over the fortunes in our fortune-cookies, and played games with the kids in the living room until bedtime.  Glorious.  That got me thinking.  
  • I did have fun learning all about dinosaurs this week with Luke (have I mentioned that I love the book Kitchen Table Play and Learn?), 
  • and Audrey has been doing some exceptionally cute things like singing along to Miss Mary Mack in the car.  
  • I was really sad when Clay and I finished listening to Robin Hood on  audio book last night, as we had been having a grand old time using silly phrases, like "ye are the stoutest lad I ever beheld" and "let's go quaff some ale and eat some venison" for a couple of weeks.  
  • And, it was quite funny when, after Clay came in the door and said to Luke, "I've been missing you, buddy," Luke replied, "I've been here all week," in a very matter-of-fact voice.
I guess I do have some good moments to remember.  I hope I can hold onto them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

toooooooooo cute

ThurberGang said...

Thanks for the reminder that even in the hard times, great things can happen - I've been having a similar week (year??)and am always amazed when I step back to see what's going *right*. . .

Megan said...

Amiee I love hearing all of the cute funny things your family does! keep up the great blogging! :) I think it has been one of those weeks for all of us. haha

adrienne said...

Thanks for that, Aimee! I think I've had a similar week, but I, too, am trying to focus on the small successes! Love it!

Carmen/Alan said...

This post is sad and funny. I like reading your updates. It's nice to hear I am not alone!

Rebecca said...

So cute!!! You have the best little family. :)
And Jeffrey's good at the pictures *now*, but we'll see how it goes when he realizes there are things which are even more fun than cameras. :)