Sunday, August 23, 2009

Steve's Home!

The kids and I drove down to Missouri a few weeks ago to welcome my brother Steven home from his mission to Chile. We are so proud of him and were really excited to see him. I think my favorite part of it all was being in the room for his release. I wasn't there for that part with my other brother, Chris, and it was such a great spiritual experience. The Stake President talked with him for a few minutes about his mission and his feelings about it. He also read the letter from Steve's Mission President telling us what a great missionary Steve was and how he served the people of Chile and the Lord well. I got a little teary-eyed thinking of how my own wonderful husband (who's birthday I missed for all of this) probably had a similar letter and served the Lord well during his mission, which was a key factor in me choosing to marry him. That may sound weird to someone not of my faith, but I really wanted to marry someone who, not only was I best friends with and in love with, but who had a strong testimony of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and who sacrificed two years of his young life to share that with others.  I realize that missions don't work out with everyone, but I knew that was what I wanted for myself based on my Patriarchal Blessing.  Serving a mission is a very self-less thing to do, and I am so impressed with Steven and his hard work learning Spanish and teaching about Christ for those two years, postponing school and career. Steve bore his testimony to us at the end of the little meeting (in English), and it was so inspiring to feel the missionary spirit and fire. It got me all excited to go home and do better.

Waiting at the airport

Mitchell and Alex, my youngest brothers and future missionaries

There he is!



Here is a picture of all of us who were able to make it to the airport. I like how events like this bring family together. I was able to see my Grandparents Allphin, Uncle Andy, Aunt Krista and three kids, Aunt Diana, Uncle Eric, and my cousin Ammon.

Welcome home, Steve-O!

1 comment:

ec said...

okay, i'm a commenting machine today, but my sister's bf got home from chile in feb. i wonder if they knew eachother? i'll have to show him these pics next time i see him...