Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Winter Second-Wind

I'm not going to lie; we were getting sick of winter. After living in Saskatchewan for four years, I'm not usually one to complain about winter in Michigan, but it had been cold and dreary for so long with no snow. The kids and I were dying for some snow. We would read books from the library about kids playing in the snow and then look out the window to the dreary, brown grass. I kept thinking, bring on snow or bring on spring. Then, just this week, we finally had a decent snow. Now, I know that snow can make winter a whole lot harder, but Luke, Audrey, and I were pumped. We threw all errands and to-do lists to the wind and spent at least an hour shoveling for fun, even though a company does it for us. We dug and played and tried (unsuccessfully) to make the snow stick into a snowman. Then, we came inside for some "warm cocoa" as the kids prefer to call it. Later, Clay and I took the kids to a little hill a couple of blocks away for their first ever taste of tobogganing. We don't actually own any sleds, but we used cardboard boxes and had a blast.

Notes about the following pictures: Yes, Audrey is obsessed with wearing Luke's Diego hat. The ladies at the library always call her a "cute little boy" when she's wearing it. Luke's hat is strange, and I'm not exactly sure where we got it, but he thinks it is the best. As long as they're warm, right?






We have definitely gotten our second wind as far as winter is concerned. That being said, we've had our fun in the snow and wouldn't mind too much if spring decided to make an appearance.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Audrey is wearing gloves!!! Glad you got your snow...now can you please wish spring to come?!

Ortensia Norton said...

Who knew one could crave snow! Looks fun! ANd hopefully spring is coming SOON!

Kristine said...

You always tell the cutest stories about your kids. They look so much alike in that picture! We have had a ton of snow in the last two weeks. It is pretty great. We have a snow cave in front of our house, I didn't expect this much snow. It is fun to see you guys out playing in it!