Sunday, May 31, 2009

My First Real Race!


It's kind of funny that I trained all last summer to run a 5K, but I never entered an actual race.  Then, this year, I enter one at the beginning of the summer after hardly running at all.  Anyway, I entered the racing world with a bang, as I picked one of the biggest races in the city:  the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.  It was pretty crazy, with over 10,000 racers and 30,000 participants altogether.  It was kind of fun and emotive to do it with a few ladies from the Mom's Club, especially since one of our own was recently diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer.  So many people were there in behalf of or celebrating a loved one.  It certainly wasn't ideal for posting a great time, as  there was a lot of dodging through massive groups of people while trying not to take out the bands and cheerleaders lining both sides of the route.  But, it was really, really exciting.  It was especially fun for me that Clay and the kids came to cheer me on.  Clayton loves running a lot more than I do, and he has been my number one fan over the past two years as I've tried to become somewhat of a runner.  The pictures we got are terrible, but I'm glad to say that I've done a 5K, and it won't be my last.  I'm sure I can beat 28:52 next time!  Oh boy, it's kind of embarrassing that I just put my time.


Wow, don't I look great right after finishing! Haha.



4 comments:

Hallie Owens said...

I am so proud of you! That is amazing that you ran a race. I am up for walking it next year. I hear you are amazing in nursery. No wonder your kids are so great. Can I be in nursery?

Ortensia Norton said...

Hey! Good for you. I hope to walk some small fun things b/c that's about all I do. Go for the big one amiee, the big one - the IRON MAN!!

ThurberGang said...

Congratulations! How fun to do that with friends. . . Good luck on the races in the future. . .

ec said...

good job! you have to start somewhere, and 5 is a great place to start.